Sunday, May 2, 2010

Well, back again. I enjoy reading others posts, but thats about all the time I have on the computer. So will see if I can do a bit more today! We've been having a lovely spring. Because of the 'cold' winter that we had and you know they say that the yearly temp average about the same...I was afraid summer would hit with a vengeance...and it still may. But...so far we've been having a lovely spring. Cool nights, and pleasant days. Today after lunch, Ryan, Gwynndon and Kylan went for their first swim party of the summer. So they must think it is warming up!
We are enjoying fresh lettuce, and strawberries. Last Wed I came in with 2- 5 qt pails full, and Andrea wondered if I actually found them all in my garden! I planted radishes again this year, and if I was growing them for the tops...we could have had a lovely crop. But for some reason the ones that did grow bulbs were so piddly look'n that they weren't worth carrying to the house!
Thanks to Ivan last weekend he got the boys to help hill the potatoes, then we mulched till we ran out of straw bale. Then next day one was delivered to us, so they are in the 'laid by' stage! Yesterday we got the fence up for the 1/2 row of green beans and cukes to grow on, so need to mulch them next. I will let the bush style green beans grow another week before we need to mulch them. Jane B generously offered that I could plant some Zipper peas in some extra garden room that she had this year. She didn't need to plant to freeze, but does like to eat fresh. I usually wait for them till after I pick the 'English' peas, and dig pototoes. So maybe this year we can get our Z peas finished before school starts!! I seems I finally am feeling the cruch of a lot of 'eaters'! I think the beans, corn and Zipper peas will last till the fresh comes, but won't have extra to start from! Not sure if the pickles will last or not! Delvin is a big veggie eater...and that is good, except when it comes to putting them up!!
This week felt like another big party. Wed night our small group and one other one met at our ball diamond for an evening together, and finished up with supper after dark. We must have had some big appetites or something. There were about 43 people, so 3 of us were bringing sand wiches. I got out 24 hotdogs, one brought 32 ham/egg salad sandwiches, and the other had 2 big trays of sub type rolls...they all got wipped out, plus I went in and got more hotdogs out of the freezer! I overheard a comment that they didn't think they ever saw a pot luck get quite so wipped out before!
Fri morning was fields day at school till noon. Then Maurita invited the girls from her room at school for overnight. We thought they might enjoy helping to make doughnuts, but wasn't sure that would keep them all busy, so Geneva mixed up 2 batches of cookies too! This Mom doesn't do well with chaos around her, but Geneva thought she could oversee things, Andrea helped with the cookie part. So I, feeling a bit guilty, escaped to the shop after everything was mixed up! They got them all done, and the floor needed a good scrubbing later, but not too much other damage was done! Then we had hamburgers over the fire for supper. I told Geneva we might need some baked macaroni and cheese to go with, but she said she didn't think they needed any more starch after all the cookies and doughnuts they had sampled! We did have mountain pies for dessert. Sat morning I took them home, then went on to Aiken to do some shopping. Quinten and Thorton went with Maurita and I. Soon after we got to Aiken Quinten wondered what we were having for lunch...he thought he would like a mt pie! We laughed at him!
The school countdown is on....2 more weeks!
This morning our Sunday School lesson was on Waiting on the Lord. Are we truly waiting...but yet keeping busy...but not running ahead...while we wait!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful, gracious southern home you have. Life is fun.

    ReplyDelete